Roasted Beet Salad
1 1/2 pounds fresh beets
1/3 cup arugula blossoms (optional)
8 oz. chèvre (fresh goat cheese)
6 cups baby arugula or mixed greens
1 cup whole pecans, toasted
1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons The Spicy Olive’s White A-Premium balsamic vinegar
1 tablespoon good quality grainy mustard
fresh ground pepper to taste
1/3 cup + 2 tablespoons The Spicy Olive’s single varietal Extra Virgin Olive Oil (Ultra Premium)
Preheat the oven to 400. Trim the beets and wrap in one foil packet drizzled with a tablespoon of water. Roast for 1 hour or until tender when pierced through with a knife. Once the cooked beets are cool enough to handle, peel them by rubbing the skin off between paper towels.
Cut the peeled beets in to 1″ pieces and toss with 2 tablespoons of white balsamic whisked together with 2 tablespoons of olive oil, and set aside.
In a medium size bowl, whisk the remaining white balsamic with the grainy mustard until well combined. Slowly drizzle in your olive oil of choice, whisking constantly until the mixture is thickened or emulsified. Add freshly ground pepper and sea salt to taste.
Arrange the greens in a bowl or on a platter and dress with the white balsamic vinaigrette. Add the marinated roasted beets to the salad, along with the crumbled fresh goat cheese, and toasted pecans
Serves 6-8 generous portions
The Spicy Olive’s Blackberry Ginger Pork Tenderloin
- 8 cups cold water
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 strips lemon peel (3″ x 1″ each)
- 2½ c fresh lemon juice (about 12 lemons)
- ½ cup The Spicy Olive’s Blackberry Ginger Balsamic vinegar
- 1 cup raspberries
- 1 cup blackberries
- Ice cubes
- Seltzer or club soda
- In 4-quart saucepan, heat 4 cups water with sugar and lemon peel to boiling over high heat, stirring occasionally.
- Cover saucepan and boil 3 minutes.
- Remove saucepan from heat and cool slightly.
- Pour into medium-mesh sieve set over large bowl and press berry mixture with back of spoon to remove seeds; discard seeds.
- Remove peel from syrup; stir syrup into berry puree with lemon juice, balsamic vinegar and remaining 4 cups water. Makes 13 cups.
- Pour into large pitcher with tight-fitting lid. Cover and refrigerate until cold, at least 3 hours or up to 2 days. Serve over ice.
- Add seltzer to taste; garnish with berries.